- A.D. Emmart Prize for writing in the humanities
- Robert G. Fenley Writing Award from the Association of American Medical Colleges
- CASE (Council on the Advancement and Support of Education) Gold Medal for alumni magazine writing
- Catholic Press Association (multiple awards)
- Crystal Award of Excellence for annual report writing
- Illinois Press Association
- Illinois UPI Newspaper Contest
- International Regional Magazine Association (multiple awards)
- Lisagor Foundation
- Maryland-Delaware-D.C. Press Association (multiple awards)
- Maryland Society of Professional Journalists (multiple awards)
- Maryland State Bar Association Award
- White Award (multiple awards)
As executive director of Cambridge Main Street, Duffy was the lone employee at a volunteer-driven nonprofit that received the following statewide awards during his tenure for its work revitalizing a historic downtown business district.
- Best Organizational Development Project 2010: “Growing the Donor Base.” Awarded by Main Street Maryland Office, Department of Housing & Community Development.
- Community Activism & Achievement Award 2010. Awarded by Maryland Governor’s Office of Smart, Green & Growing.
- Best Business Development Project 2011: “The Pop Up Contest.” Awarded by Main Street Maryland Office, Department of Housing & Community Development.
- Award of Excellence in Community Collaboration 2011: “Fresh Coat Cambridge.” Awarded by the Maryland Asset Building and Community Development Network.
- Nonprofit Fundraising Best Practices: Annual Donors. National Main Streets Conference in Des Moines.
- Retail Business Development Strategy: The Pop Up Contest. Tri-State Main Streets Conference in Tupelo, MS.
- Retail Business Development Strategy: The Pop Up Contest. National Main Streets Conference in Baltimore.
- Retail Business Development Strategy: The Pop Up Contest. Delaware Main Street Idea Exchange in Middletown, DE.
- Feature Writing Roundtable. Baltimore Writers Conference.